U.S. Naval Academy – Bancroft Hall
Building Enclosure Renovation – Design Build
Bancroft Hall is the world’s largest dormitory boasting 1,700 rooms, 4.8 miles of corridors, 33 acres of floor space and its own zip code. The original sections were built under the supervision of Ernest Flagg in the early 1900s and represent his most well recognized work in the Beaux Arts style of architecture. Additional wings were added in the 1920s, 30s and 60s, and the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Gale was retained to prepare/design documents for needed repairs to granite walls, mortar joints, slate roofing and copper gutters. Our services included:
- Design of a quality control plan.
- Onsite evaluation of facade and roof to document details at mortar joints, sealant joints, granite facade, slate roof and copper gutters.
- Sampled and analyzed mortar to match original mortar and historic fabric of building.
- Designed chosen construction measures, prepared technical specifications, photo elevations, special details and design analysis in accordance with Navy requirements.
- Provided design quality manager responsible for design integrity, professional design standards and required design services.
- Prepared Historic Preservation and Planning Commission Submission and attended meetings before the Commission and Maryland Historic Trust.
- Performed quality assurance observations and construction administration during construction.