Windermere High School
Building Enclosure Services
Orange County, FL
Gale provided Building Enclosure Services for Orange County Public Schools’ $70 million Windermere High School. The new high school consists of nine buildings on a 66-acre site totaling approximately 340,400 SF. The school serves 2,800 students and was constructed to alleviate overcrowding at the nearby West Orange High School. Windermere High was on an accelerated schedule and was completed in 18-months.
Designed by Schenkel Schultz Architects, the design incorporated architectural elements that give a “Key West” appeal, including aluminum shutters, a warm palette paint scheme, and ship lap form liners to add a horizontal clapboard look to the exterior walls.
The new campus consists of classrooms, skill labs, resource rooms, science labs, art, band, vocal, orchestra, piano, dance, EHPA gymnasium, vocational labs, media center, administration, guidance, dining room, kitchen, and various support spaces. The 853-seat auditorium includes guidance offices and classrooms for band, chorus, orchestra and piano. Outdoor athletic facilities include a practice football field, track, field house, baseball/ softball fields, concession booth, basketball courts, tennis/ volleyball courts, shot put pit, pole vault lane, high jump pad, long jump lanes and practice fields. A new football stadium is being built nearby at the new Deputy Scott Pine Community Park and is expected to host the first Wolverines football game in 2018.
- Performed technical peer review of the design documents related to the building enclosure components for Phase II and Phase III submissions. Review included roofs, walls, windows, sub-grade waterproofing, fenestrations, louvers, penetrations through the building enclosure, thermal and air-barrier concerns.
- Participated in design development review meetings.
- Facilitated the building enclosure commissioning process.
- Reviewed contractor shop drawings and submittals.
- Performed periodic onsite quality control observations during construction.
- Attended job construction meetings related to the installation of the building enclosure components.
- Performed post-occupancy observation.