It was recently announced that the 9th Edition of the Massachusetts State Build Code will be released in August or September 2017. A concurrency period will be provided in which a building can be permitted under either the current 8th or the new 9th edition. This concurrency period will end January 1, 2018 and all projects permitted in 2018 will be required to comply with the 9th edition.
The new, 9th edition code is based on modified versions of the following 2015 codes as published by the International Code Council (ICC):
- The International Building Code (IBC)
- International Residential Code (IRC)
- International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
- Portions of the International Fire Code (IFC)
The 9th edition brings changes to the building enclosure as well, including but not limited to the following:
- Updated code requirements for location of vapor retarders
- Vegetated roof has been defined
- Load requirements for snow drift load
- Dead load and design requirements for solar panels and support framing
- Provisions for addressing impact loads from elements supporting facade access equipment
- Seismic requirements for ballasted PV solar panels
For more information, click here.
Please feel free to contact Gale if you have questions about how the 9th edition may affect your building enclosure!